lørdag 15. desember 2018

True freedom

John 18:39But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release ‘the king of the Jews’?”
40They shouted back, “No, not him! Give us Barabbas!” Now Barabbas had taken part in an uprising.

I don’t know how much Barabbas heard of the commotion going on here. Maybe from his cell he heard them cheer for his name. He was aware of the custom, and was aware that this was the time that they would choose someone to be set free, but I am sure he didn’t have much hope for his name to come up. But suddenly he could hear them shout “GIVE US BARABBAS!” I don’t know what thought that went through his mind. Maybe pride rose as he thought they really fought for his freedom. Maybe he thought that they wanted him free because of love for him. I don’t even know what went through his mind when Pilate set him free. Having the power to set him free, he could mistake that maybe Pilate thought he was innocent after all? But really, Pilate set him free out of FEAR for the same people Barabbas thought loved him. He may not have been aware that the motive was not love for him, but hate for Jesus. I am sure he found out, when he was released thinking that he was popular now, that surely this people do not love me anyway. No one invites me for dinner, and no one wants to hang out with me. 

The Devil fools many people into believing they are blessed because of love and popularity. They have what they have because he wants to “bless” them. But sooner or later the truth will come to the surface. The Devil is not driven with love, but rather with hate. His only goal is to kill, steal and destroy. 

The interesting thing in this story is that the one that caused Barabbas to be set free, is the one that came to set people free. But he did not come to do it this way. The ones he sets free, becomes really free. Barabbas came to find out he was not free, even though he technically was free. Following the voice of the Devil, you can be bound even though you are free. But if you follow the voice of Jesus you can be free, even though you are bound. Just like my friend in prison here in Norway. As God forgave him of his sins, he ran out from his cell, shouting I am free, I am free. He still had five more years to serve… That’s true freedom.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar