mandag 14. januar 2019

In the sand or in the hand

Jer 17:13O Lord, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living waters.


”Written in the earth” is translated “written in the dust” in the Norwegian translation. In Hebrew the word describes the surface of the earth. The meaning of the statement is that as soon as it is written it will disappear. In other words, your name will not be remembered. Because you have forsaken me, I will not remember you. I wonder if that is what Jesus wrote in the sand, when he bowed down after challenging them that the one without sin could cast the first stone. These “righteous” Jews I am sure was well aware of this words from the Prophet. To emphasize that they were indeed sinners and that God meant they had forsaken him, Jesus starts to write their name in the dust of the earth. 

The contrast to this is from Is 49:
15  Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. 
16Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

Jesus has graven our names into the palm of his hands with nails. He will NEVER forget us. He will never leave us nor forsake us.
Where is your name written? In the sand or in the hand?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar